Information of interest and benefit to EAA chapter members  : :  View this email online

EAA ChapterGram
  Newsletter Sign-Up Chapters Volunteer Forward to a Friend Contact
December 2013

Trevor Janz Chapter Member Rosters - Why?
By Trevor Janz, EAA 594477

Earlier this month we sent out a request to all chapters to provide us with a current roster of members. Over the past many years, we have only kept a current record of chapter leaders and not the complete chapter membership. When asked by chapters to provide them with a current roster list of their chapter, we've been unable to do so. Also, when asked if an EAA member is a chapter member, we have not had that information. This is somewhat embarrassing to say the least. Read more >>
Chapters in Action
Winter Hut Winter Hut for Unheated Hangar
By Keith Williams, EAA 213718, EAA Chapter 75, Illinois

Here are some pictures of a "winter hut" I have been building so I can continue working on my project during the cold winter months. I expect to spend a lot of time in there this winter.

The winter hut is 10 x 14 feet and 8 feet high. The walls are 2 x 2, and the ceiling is 1 x 2, all on 24-inch centers. I am using 3.5-inch paper-backed fiberglass insulation. It has three doors - one for ahead of the wing and one for each side behind the wing.
Read more >>

PF Beck Giving a Memento After an Airplane Ride
PF Beck, EAA 36369, of Barnwell, South Carolina, provides those he flies in his Pietenpol a photo of the plane with a special inscription on the back as a memento. We wanted to share this idea with our members. - Editor

When I started carrying passengers in my Pietenpol, after the 40-hour test-flight period more than 9 years ago, I decided to give each person something to remember what is usually his first flight in an open-cockpit airplane made mostly of wood and fabric and powered with a converted Corvair auto engine. All get out with a big grin on their face, saying, "I want to do that again." Read more >>

Chapter 88 Chapter 88's 50th Anniversary Fly-In
By Neal Willford, EAA 169108

What sets EAA apart from other organizations? Most would agree that the annual air show and convention in Oshkosh is its signature feature. For the remaining 51 weeks of the year, I would say that its chapter network sets it apart. It was not long after the EAA's founding in 1953 that Ray Stits from Riverside, California, joined the EAA and asked about starting a local chapter. His request was granted, and in October 1953, EAA Chapter 1 was born. In the subsequent years, the EAA chapter network has grown to just under 1,000 chapters worldwide. Read more >>

Young Eagles Milestone Milestone Young Eagle Flights at Fitchburg
Twins become Young Eagles 1000, 1001 for Fitchburg Pilots Association/EAA Chapter 1454
A milestone was reached through the dedicated efforts of Massachusetts-based Fitchburg Pilots Association (FPA) members who have been organizing free Young Eagle flights twice a year for several years. Twins Christian and Cody flew individually with FPA member and Airport Commissioner Steve Brousseau in his Bell 47 helicopter. Read more >>

One Week, One Oshkosh. Buy Tickets Now & Save
News from EAA Headquarters
Chapter Video Magazine Jim Moss' Gee Bee Q.E.D. featured in December Chapter Video Magazine
In the December issue of EAA's Chapter Video Magazine, go on a project patrol with the late Jim Moss and friends as they build a replica of the gigantic Gee Bee Q.E.D. vintage racer. Then meet Landon Clipp, a 17-year-old pilot who saved up enough money from cutting grass to purchase and fly a powered parachute. This month's video also includes an update on EAA's programs from EAA Director of Education Bret Steffen. A link to download this month's video was e-mailed to chapter officers on December 1. If you are a chapter officer and did not receive the e-mail, please contact us at chapters@eaa.org.

Update from the Young Eagles Office
End-of-year action plans for Young Eagles volunteers
Please make sure all of the Young Eagles registration forms from your events this past year have been sent to our office in order to be credited in 2013. Also, if you have not already done so, please remember to recognize your valuable ground volunteers with a certificate and pin by e-mailing the names to Michelle Kunes at mkunes@eaa.org. Finally, make certain the information regarding your Young Eagles Coordinator for 2014 is accurate on the chapter renewals that are coming your way. We count on that information to communicate with our volunteers.

EAA Blanket The Perfect Gift: EAA Membership
Here's a great idea for the aviation enthusiasts on your holiday shopping list: an EAA gift membership. Special one-year EAA gift memberships not only bring huge smiles but also 12 issues of EAA's award-winning Sport Aviation magazine, special interest group opportunities, super savings with deals and discounts from aviation partners, EAA AirVenture discounts and privileges, and best of all, camaraderie among fellow aviation enthusiasts through EAA's rich community of chapters, workshops, events, and more.

We also have a premium holiday gift membership that includes a warm and cozy EAA air show blanket that's perfect for those cool winter evenings when you're dreaming about skies filled with airplanes. In addition, EAA offers a specially priced three-year membership extension, including the blanket, which you just might want to give to yourself! Learn more >>

Tax Exemption for Your Chapter
By Patti Arthur, Esq., EAA Legal Advisory Council

One of the most common questions we hear is how to operate or form an EAA chapter so that it is tax exempt. There are two provisions of the Internal Revenue Code that allow tax-exempt status. Examining these allows one to develop a general framework on how to acquire it and keep it. Read more >>

EAA Skiplane Fly-In EAA's Skiplane Fly-In Moved to February 8
The annual EAA Skiplane Fly-In has been moved from its traditional January date to Saturday, February 8, at EAA's Pioneer Airport in Oshkosh, to increase the likelihood of sufficient snow to host flying activities. This special winter event, which has welcomed more than 30 skiplanes in the past, celebrates three important occasions: the unique flight segment of skiplane flying, the anniversary of the first ever meeting of the Experimental Aircraft Association on January 26, 1953, and the January 24 birthday of EAA's matriarch, Audrey Poberezny. Read more >>

AirVenture 2014 EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2014 Advance Tickets Now Available Online
Advance purchase admission tickets and camping are now available for EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2014, the 62nd annual convention and fly-in scheduled for July 28 to August 3 at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh. EAA members and nonmembers can purchase daily and weekly admission tickets in advance, and purchases made before June 15, 2014, include a $2 discount on daily adult admissions and $5 on weekly adult admissions.

Catalog Jewelry Made From B-17 Bomber Skins Highlights New EAA Gift Catalog
Give a piece of the legendary B-17 Flying Fortress this holiday season with original, exclusive jewelry made from the actual exterior skins of EAA's Aluminum Overcast, available through the 2013 EAA merchandise catalog. EAA's new 52-page catalog also features the latest and best of all things aviation and EAA-related, from clothing and memorabilia to books and DVDs. Read more >>

SportAir Workshop Spots Available for January SportAir Workshops in Oshkosh
Building or restoring an airplane? There are still spots available to enroll in EAA's SportAir Workshops being taught in Oshkosh next month, January 25-26. With EAA SportAir Workshops, you'll receive two days of solid, hands-on instruction on your construction method of choice, be it Composite Construction, Fabric Covering, Gas Welding, or Sheet Metal Basics. There are also courses on Electrical Systems and Avionics and Fundamentals of Aircraft Construction. On Saturday evening, join the popular course What's Involved in Kit Building from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Learn more and enroll today at the SportAir Workshops website or by calling 800-967-5746.

Jeff Skiles Jeff Skiles to Present 'Miracle on the Hudson' on Jan. 16
On January 16, EAA Vice President Jeff Skiles will present "Miracle on the Hudson," the incredible story of the celebrated water landing made famous throughout the world, as part of EAA's Aviation Adventure Speaker Series held at the EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. These free presentations are held from 7:30-8 p.m. and include a special "behind the ropes" museum tour immediately following each presentation. Visit us online or call 920-426-6823 for more information.

EAA AirVenture Museum Changes Hours
The EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh will be bringing in the New Year with "New" museum hours that standardize the regular museum hours for all seven days a week. Effective January 2, 2014, the museum will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Sunday. Office hours will remain the same from 8:15 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. These new operating hours will not affect any school or business groups that want to use or rent the museum between 8:30-10 a.m., and the museum will continue to operate after hours in the evening for special events.
For Your Newsletter
B-17 Over Lambeau Aluminum Overcast Soars Over Lambeau
EAA's historic World War II B-17 bomber Aluminum Overcast performed a true first on November 24 when it made the pregame flyover at Lambeau Field before the Green Bay Packers-Minnesota Vikings National Football League game. The Packers contacted EAA about making a flyover prior to the season after military flyovers were canceled due to federal budget sequestration. Read more >>
Open Mic
The End for 100LL?
Posted to the EAA Chapter 22 (Rockford, Illinois) Facebook page by Harry Fenton, EAA 248020:

The end for 100LL aviation fuel may be near, but maybe not in a bad way. Shell is just reporting that they have developed an equivalent to 100LL but minus the tetraethyl lead. I have been part of a number of aviation industry advisory groups since 1998, and the struggle to find a replacement for 100LL and to understand the implications of the lack of 100LL has been substantial.

Twenty years ago the doom and gloom prediction was that all engines and aircraft which currently use 100LL would need to be derated to work on lesser octane fuels. I have been an advocate of an equivalent fuel strategy, and it looks like this concept is moving closer to reality. What remains to be seen is real-world cost per gallon of the new fuel and handling [and] storage considerations.
Read EAA's announcement here >>
Chapter Toolbox
Young Eagles Press Release Example of a Young Eagles Press Release
Here's a sample news release you can modify and use to report on your local Young Eagles events. Thanks to the Leesburg, Florida Chapter 534 for sharing. - Editor

Experimental Aircraft Association Chapter 534 of Leesburg, Florida, hosted members of the Eustis High School Air Force ROTC program at the Leesburg International Airport on Saturday, November 23, 2013, for their chance to have an aviation experience through EAA's Young Eagles program. Read more >>

Great Idea for Recruiting New Chapter Members
This was sent out via e-mail by Chapter 454 (Lakeland, Florida) to former members, guests, and attendees at local safety meetings; referrals; and local Young Eagle pilots. Talking with Richard Murray, chapter secretary, I learned it did bring in some new members. Please consider using this method to grow your chapter. Collect those e-mail addresses at your events! - Editor

Give yourself a gift this year. Scratch that aviation itch. Join Chapter 454 now. Read more >>
Upcoming Programs
2013 SportAir Workshops - Two-day aircraft building programs
Courses include: Sheet Metal Basics, Composite Construction, Fabric Covering, Electrical Systems & Avionics, TIG Welding, RV Assembly, and What's Involved In Kit Building
Upcoming Homebuilding Workshops:
January 11 - 12: Griffin, GA (TIG Welding Only)
January 25 - 26: Oshkosh, WI
February 8 -9: Chesapeake, VA
February 22 - 23: Lakeland, FL
March 22 -23: Watsonville, CA
View complete schedule and courses available by location >>

Register online or call 800-967-5746.
Pre-registration is required for all workshops.

Webinars: Free to all aviation enthusiasts
December 18: Ultimate Aircraft Buying Guide - Presenter: Scott Sky Smith
January 8: Is My Airplane Too Broken To Fly? (FAA AMT & Wings Credit) - Presenter: Mike Busch
January 15: Chapter Chat: How to Start and Run a Successful EAA Chapter - Presenter: Charley Valera
View all Webinars.
Pre-registration required.
Chapter Resources
Eagle Flights Materials
Calendar of Events
Chapter Locator

Speakers Bureau
Labels and Lists
Promotional Materials

  EAA Facebook EAA Twitter EAA Email Us EAA Forums
Member Benefits : : Join EAA : : Renew Membership : : Support EAA
To make sure you continue receiving our emails to your inbox (not bulk or junk folders),
please add membership@eaa.org to your address book or safe sender list.