Eagle Flights Overview and Clarifications
By Trevor Janz, EAA 656941
EAA Manager of Chapters and Eagle Flights
November 13, 2012 - With more than 5,200 Eagle Flight registration forms mailed since the beginning of August, we are proud of the chapters and members for all the support of this new program to introduce adults to flying an aircraft. More than 300 Eagle flights have been given to date.
I want to thank our Young Eagles coordinators, Eagle Flights coordinators, chapters, and individual EAA members for supporting the Eagle Flights program. When on the Grassroots Pilot Tours I ask EAA members, "Who introduced you to aviation?" The Eagle Flights program is definitely a way to "pay it forward." Eagle Flights give us the opportunity to share the freedom and excitement of flight.
Many chapters are using the Eagle Flights program to grow their membership. We are looking to the EAA chapters to mentor the participants, bring them into the EAA community/chapter and immerse them in all things aviation. Help them find a flight school in your area and be a mentor along their journey to becoming a pilot.
Some important info:
- Please do not use a Young Eagles registration form for Eagle Flights. The Eagle Flights registration form (a separate form) must be filled out and signed by the pilot and participant prior to the flight and left on the ground. If you need the Eagle Flights registration forms contact me directly and I will mail you the forms: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Eagle Flights registration form cannot be downloaded online and will not be available via a PDF file. Due to legal and risk management regulations, the form is two-sided and must be mailed to you, filled out prior to the flight, and mailed back to EAA headquarters. We are working on a way to have it be available online to save us much printing and postage costs.
- Please do not use Young Eagles certificates for Eagle Flights. At this time we are not providing the Eagle Flights participant with a certificate. A certificate for Eagle Flights is still under discussion.
- No logbook will be provided for an Eagle Flight participant. We recommend that you introduce your Eagle Flights participant to a local flight school and recommend they purchase a logbook to begin recording their training.
- When the Eagle Flights registration form is filled out, prior to the flight, you immediately have the $1 million insurance coverage for the flight (similar to a Young Eagles flight).
- We are discussing online ground schools and other resources that will be available as an adult pathway to attain a pilot certificate. We will keep you posted via ChapterGram and individual e-mails as this program progresses.
- We are also working on reward incentives for Eagle Flights participants, Eagle Flights pilots, and chapters as we move forward to mark milestones, such as passing their written exam, first solo, etc. We will keep you posted.
Thank you again for all of your support. If you have any other questions and/or suggestions do not hesitate getting in touch with me anytime at 920-426-5914 or email@example.com.