EAA AirVenture Museum Filled with Special Events, Exhibits During 2007
EAA AVIATION CENTER, OSHKOSH, Wis. - (January 11, 2007) — Special events, exhibits and activities are among the spectacular highlights of this year's schedule at the world-class EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh, which celebrates its 24th year of operation in 2007.
Among the featured events in 2007 is a presentation by Thomas Griffin of the famed Doolittle Raiders on March 27; new "Living History Days" at Pioneer Airport throughout the year; the openings of the Aerospace Design and Space Gallery exhibits in July; and renowned designer Burt Rutan as the keynote speaker at the annual Wright Brothers Memorial Banquet on Dec. 14.
Special presentations are also a popular part of the museum's schedule during EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, which will be held July 23-29, 2007.
"The EAA AirVenture Museum is a one-of-a-kind facility in both the Midwest and throughout the aviation world," said Adam Smith, EAA AirVenture Museum Director. "It is a place for learning, discovery and history, a proud home for EAA members worldwide, and a vibrant center of activity within the local community. There's always something new to discover and additional activities to enjoy."
The museum has welcomed approximately 3 million visitors since the Oshkosh facility opened in 1983. Nearly 100 aircraft are on display in the museum year-round, with an additional 40 on display at the facility's Pioneer Airport, which is open from May through mid-October.
The EAA AirVenture Museum is located just off Highway 41 at the Highway 44 exit in Oshkosh. The Museum is open Monday through Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Sundays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. EAA members receive free museum admission year-round and family memberships are available. For more information, call the EAA AirVenture Museum at (920) 426-6108 or visit www.airventuremuseum.org.
EAA AIRVENTURE MUSEUM EVENT SCHEDULE - 2007
- January 27: EAA's Annual Skiplane Fly-In - Join in on a delicious chili lunch and some "hangar talk" as ski planes of all varieties land at Pioneer Airport.
- January 27-28: SportAir Workshop
- February 24-25: Family Flightfest - A full weekend of family activities guaranteed to cure those mid-winter blues. Try your hands at modeling, paper airplanes, aviation art, pedal planes, simulators and more!
- March 3: EAA's Hops and Props - An elegant evening event of gourmet beer tasting that raises funds for EAA's education and preservation programs.
- March 7: Tuskegee Airmen Richard Macon - Hear the story of one member of the famed Tuskegee Airmen fighting squadron who was also a POW in WWII.
- March 27: Doolittle Raider Thomas Griffin - Listen to the tales of bravery and heroes, when one of the original Doolittle Raiders from WWII speaks in the Museum.
- April 14-15: Open Cockpit Weekend - A rare "insider's look" at EAA's aircraft maintenance facility on 20th Street in Oshkosh, with tours of how EAA maintains its flying fleet. In the museum, several aircraft will have their cockpits opened, allowing visitors a unique look inside. Also, on April 14 a members-only, behind-the-scenes tours of EAA's archives and collections.
- May 5-6: Pioneer Airport Opening Weekend - The new flying season opens at Pioneer Airport, with vintage aircraft activities, plus Young Eagles flights.
- May 12, June 2, July 7, September 8, and October 6: Living History Days (New Event in 2007) - Step back in time at Pioneer Airport and experience the golden age of aviation. Vintage children's games, send a piece of air mail and see rare aircraft fly.
- May 18-20: Coffy Gregory Weekend - An opportunity for girls of all ages to meet with mentors and explore a future in aviation.
- June 9: International Young Eagles Day - EAA's youth aviation education program, which has flown more than 1.25 million kids since 1992, takes center stage at the museum and Wittman Airport.
- June 23: Wings on Strings Kite Festival - One of man's earliest flying machines is celebrated in this family fun day featuring pro kite fliers, kite-making clinics and lots of room to launch your own kite!
- July 1- Aerospace Design Exhibition opening -Experience the innovations of wind tunnels and the progress made by them in this new exhibit designed in cooperation with NASA.
- July 14: Space Gallery opening - A compliment to EAA's SpaceShipOne replica, this new gallery will be filled with interactive and hands-on space activities.
- July 14-15: Space Exploration Weekend - A great family weekend where everyone can learn how to make an eggstronaunt and see giant rockets shot off outside. Space thrills for families of all ages.
- July 23-29: EAA AirVenture Oshkosh - The world's greatest aviation celebration includes extended museum hours and features many special activities and speakers.
- August 17-19: Good Ol' Days/Aviation Murder Mystery Dinner - On Aug. 18-19, Vintage aircraft and car demonstrations, send a piece of air mail and play an old-fashioned children's game! Fun for the whole family. On the Aug. 17-18, the popular "Murder Mystery" dinner returns with a brand new "whodunit?" to solve.
- September 21-23: Vintage Fantasy Flight Camp - Be a barnstormer and feel the wind tug at your clothing as it whistles through the wires of our vintage biplane collection. Learn about and fly in the 1929 Travel Air, as well as riding in one of the oldest known biplanes still being used for passenger flight, the 1927 Swallow. Along with these two great vintage planes there will be a third rare vintage biplane added to this great weekend at Pioneer Airport. Join fellow enthusiasts at day's end in the Air Academy Lodge, for "hangar flying" stories in this unforgettable experience.
- October 5-7: Bell 47 Fantasy Flight Camp - Spend a weekend exploring the history of this unique aircraft made famous on the TV show M.A.S.H.
- October 13-14: Fall Color Flights - Enjoy Wisconsin's spectacular fall foliage display from above, in one of EAA's vintage aircraft.
- Oct. 19-21: Photo Fantasy Flight Camp - Become a pro photographer with a weekend session all about aviation photography.
- Oct. 19, 20, 26 & 27: EAA's Haunted Hangar - What mysteries does the AirVenture Museum hold after dark? Find out in this fun event great for kids 12 and under.
- Oct. 27: EAA's Slightly Haunted Hangar - A lights-on, little kid friendly event with candy, games and trick-o-treating. Costumes are encouraged.
- Nov. 9: EAA Halls of Fame Induction Dinner
- Nov. 30-Dec. 2: B-17 Fantasy Flight Camp - The experience of a lifetime discovering the inside-and-out of this famed World War II bomber, including flights.
- Dec. 10: Christmas in the Air - For more than 20 years, EAA's annual open house has featured local musical groups, refreshments and a visit from Santa. Now featuring the "Just Plane Chocolate" tasting competition.
- Dec. 14: Wright Brothers Memorial Banquet - Honor the creators of powered flight through this special presentation, featuring keynote speaker: Burt Rutan.
- December 26-31: Kids' Days - The museum's annual family event, with special activities and presentations to encourage fun with aviation.
EAA AIRVENTURE OSHKOSH is The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration and EAA's yearly membership convention. EAA members receive lowest prices on admission rates. For more information on EAA and its programs, call 1-800-JOIN-EAA (1-800-564-6322) or visit www.eaa.org. EAA AirVenture information is also available through the World Wide Web at www.airventure.org.