Pick Your Favorite Aviation Movie for the Fly-In Theater at EAA AirVenture 2008
EAA AVIATION CENTER, OSHKOSH, Wis. - (March 31, 2008) — The choice is yours once again as EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2008 will feature some of the greatest aviation films of all-time during its 56th annual fly-in convention. EAA AirVenture, "The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration," is July 28-August 3 at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh.
The Fly-In Theater, presented by Ford Motor Company and Eclipse Aviation, and is located adjacent to EAA's Camp Scholler camping area. It will be open each evening (weather permitting) from Sunday, July 27 through Saturday, August 2.
The 10 movies on this year's "Members' Choice" online poll are well-known aviation movies that have not been shown previously at the Fly-In Theater. The poll, available at www.airventure.org, will be open through May 2.
"We've drawn a list of 10 movies that drew a large number of votes among the hundreds of nominations received for last year's wildly successful 'Greatest Aviation Movie of All Time' poll," said Adam Smith, EAA vice president of membership. "Visitors to the website can vote on what they would like to see, and the movie garnering the most votes will be shown during the week at Oshkosh."
The list of eligible movies this year includes:
- Air America (1990), starring Mel Gibson and Robert Downey Jr.;
- The Dam Busters (1955), starring Sir Michael Redgrave;
- Flight of the Phoenix (1965), starring Jimmy Stewart and Richard Attenborough;
- Memphis Belle (1990), starring Matthew Modine, Eric Stoltz and Harry Connick Jr.;
- Always (1989), starring Richard Dreyfuss and Holly Hunter;
- The Final Countdown (1980), starring Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen;
- Strategic Air Command (1955), starring Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson;
- Airplane! (1980), starring Robert Hays, Julie Hagerty and Leslie Nielsen;
- Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954), starring William Holden, Grace Kelly and Fredric March;
- Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970), starring Martin Balsam and Joseph Cotten.
The Fly-In Theater is a walk-in facility that is reminiscent of the famous drive-in theaters of the past, complete with open-air seating and popcorn! There is no admission charge for the theater, which is open to all AirVenture guests. Each evening's show begins at approximately 8:30 p.m., with an introduction by a celebrity presenter, followed by a classic aviation film, shown on a projection screen measuring five stories high. The final schedule of movies to be screened and the celebrity presenters will be announced later this spring.
EAA AIRVENTURE OSHKOSH is The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration and EAA's yearly membership convention. Additional EAA AirVenture information, including advance ticket purchase, is available through the World Wide Web at www.airventure.org. EAA members receive lowest prices on admission rates. For more information on EAA and its programs, call 1-800-JOIN-EAA (1-800-564-6322) or visit www.eaa.org.