Louisiana EAA Fly-In Series Begins Next Week
February 14, 2007 — Louisiana EAAers are preparing to launch their annual EAA Fly-in Series with the first event set for next weekend (February 24), EAA Chapter 343?s fly-in at Shreveport Downtown Airport (DTN). The series, which dates back to the late 1980s and early 1990s, was revived in 2003 to help state flyers appropriately celebrate the 100th anniversary of flight. It includes 10 fly-in events that run through the end of October.
?We are still the only fly-in series that I am aware of in the United States,? said series coordinator Jim Riviere. ?It?s hard to believe but we are already moving into our fifth anniversary year since reviving the series in 2003, and we are working hard to make it our best ever.?
The ultimate goal is to raise awareness of aviation for the general public and increase aviation activity in the state. That was never more important than in 2005 after hurricanes Katrina and Rita, as several fly-ins became relief efforts allowing pilots and planes to deliver several thousand pounds of emergency supplies to the region.
Riviere described 2006 as a great year. ?I am confident that the airports hosting our events easily became the busiest in Louisiana on that particular day,? he said.
Each of the 10 events is organized and sponsored by an individual EAA chapter. Other aviation groups are encouraged to participate, such as the Ninety-Nines, Civil Air Patrol, IAC, Warbirds of America, U.S. Military, agricultural operators, flight schools, and commercial operators, as well as government agencies like the FAA and the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development. Most events will also conduct Young Eagles flights.
Participants can also become eligible for prize giveaways--more than 80 gifts were donated and awarded last year - and Riviere said they?re still soliciting sponsors for 2007. Thos interested can contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or for more information, visit the Louisiana Fly-Ins Website.
Schedule of Louisiana EAA Fly-In Series:
- February 24 - Chapter 343 Fly-In - Shreveport Downtown (DTN)
- March 24 - Chapter 971 Fly-In - St. John Airport (1L0)
- March 31 - Chapter 697 Air Show & Fly-In - Slidell Airport (ASD)
- April 27-28 - Chapter 614 Spring Fly-In - Pineville Municipal (2L0)
- May 5 - Chapter 912 Fly-In - Concordia Parish (Vidalia) (0R4)
- May 12 - Chapter 244 Fly-In & Poker Run - False River Regional (HZR)
- September 8 - Chapter 836 Freedom Fly-In - Ruston Regional (RSN)
- October 12-13 - Chapter 614 Fall Fly-In - Pineville Municipal (2L0)
- October 20 - Chapter 513 Cajun Fly-In & Fly Market - Houma-Terrebonne (HUM)
- October 27 - Chapter 836 Southern Heritage Air Show & Fly-In - Tallulah/Vicksburg Regional (TVR)