EAA AirVenture Museum Celebrates 25th Anniversary This Year
January 10, 2008 — Special events, exhibits, and activities are among the highlights of this year's schedule at the world-class EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh, which celebrates its 25th year of operation in 2008. Among the featured events in the coming year is the annual Family Flightfest in March; the Wings on Strings kits festival on June 21; the Good Ol' Days vintage airplane weekend and Aviation Murder Mystery Theater in August; and Fantasy Flight Camps that offer the rare opportunity to fly and discover more about selected aircraft EAA's world-class collection.
Special presentations are also a popular part of the museum schedule during EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, which will be held July 28-August 3, 2008.
"The EAA AirVenture Museum is a one-of-a-kind facility in both the Midwest and throughout the aviation world," said Alan Westby, EAA AirVenture Museum Director. "It is a place for learning, discovery and history, a proud home for EAA members worldwide, and a vibrant center of activity within the local community. There's always something new to discover and additional activities to enjoy."
The museum has welcomed approximately 3 million visitors since the Oshkosh facility opened in 1983. Nearly 100 aircraft are on display in the museum year-round, with an additional 40 on display at the facility's Pioneer Airport, which is open from May through mid-October.
The EAA AirVenture Museum is located just off Highway 41 at the Highway 44 exit in Oshkosh. The Museum is open Monday through Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Sundays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. EAA members receive free museum admission year-round and family memberships are available. For more information, call the EAA AirVenture Museum at 920- 426-6108 or visit www.airventuremuseum.org.
EAA AirVenture Museum Event Schedule - 2008
- January 26: EAA’s Annual Skiplane Fly-In, 10:30 a.m.-3 p.m. — Join in on a delicious chili lunch and some “hangar talk” as ski planes of all varieties land at Pioneer Airport. www.airventuremuseum.org
- March 1: EAA’s Hops and Props, 6:30-9 p.m. — An elegant evening event of gourmet beer tasting that raises funds for EAA’s education and preservation programs. www.airventuremuseum.org
- March 8-9: Family Flightfest, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. each day — A full weekend of family activities guaranteed to cure those mid-winter blues. Try your hands at modeling, paper airplanes, aviation art, pedal planes, simulators and more! www.airventuremuseum.org
- April 5-6: Open Cockpit Weekend, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. — A rare “insider’s look” at EAA’s aircraft maintenance facility on 20th Street in Oshkosh, with tours of how EAA maintains its flying fleet. In the museum, several aircraft will have their cockpits opened, allowing visitors a unique look inside. Also on April 5, a members-only, behind-the-scenes tour of EAA’s archives and collections. www.airventuremuseum.org
- May 3-4: Pioneer Airport Opening Weekend, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. each day — The new flying season opens at Pioneer Airport, with vintage aircraft activities, plus Young Eagles flights. Included in Museum admission. www.airventuremuseum.org
- May 12-16: Exploring Space Week — A week designed to welcome field trips for grades 3 through 8. Two educational activities are included with group rate admission. For more information or to schedule your school contact email@example.com or 920 426-6880.
- May 16-18: Coffy Gregory Weekend — An opportunity for girls of all ages to meet with mentors and explore a future in aviation.
- June 14: International Young Eagles Day — EAA’s youth aviation education program, which has flown more than 1.3 million kids since 1992, takes center stage at the museum and Wittman Airport.
- June 21: Wings on Strings Kite Festival, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. — One of man’s earliest flying machines is celebrated in this family fun day, featuring professional kite fliers, kite-making clinics and lots of room to launch your own kite! Free to participate in kite activities; EAA AirVenture Museum open at regular admission rates. www.airventuremuseum.org
- July 28-Aug. 3: EAA AirVenture Oshkosh — The world’s greatest aviation celebration includes extended museum hours and features many special activities and speakers. www.eaa.org
- August 16-17: Good Ol’ Days, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. — Vintage aircraft and car demonstrations, send a piece of airmail and play an old-fashioned children’s game! Fun for the whole family, included in museum admission. www.pioneerairport.org
- August 15-16: Aviation Murder Mystery Dinner — The popular “Murder Mystery” dinner returns with a brand new “whodunit?” to solve. Reservations required. www.airventuremuseum.org
- August 22-24: Great Outdoors Festival
- Oct. 11-12: Pioneer Airport Closing Weekend/Fall Color Flights — Enjoy Wisconsin’s spectacular fall foliage display from above, in one of EAA’s vintage aircraft. www.airventuremuseum.org
- Oct. 18-19: Ford Tri-Motor Fantasy Flight Camp - EAA’s weekend program gets flight enthusiasts up close and flying in this vintage passenger airplane. www.fantasyflightcamp.org
- Oct. 24-25 & Oct. 31-Nov. 1: EAA’s Haunted Hangar — What mysteries does the AirVenture Museum hold after dark? Find out in this fun event great for kids 12 and under. Groups of 25 are provided a guided tour of the Museum every 15 minutes - don’t forget to reserve your time! www.airventuremuseum.org
- Oct. 25: Slightly Haunted Hangar, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. — A lights-on, little kid friendly event with candy, games and trick-o-treating. Costumes are encouraged.
- Dec. 1-5: Exploring Space Week — A week designed to welcome field trips for grades 3 through 8. Two educational activities are included with group rate admission. For more information or to schedule your school contact firstname.lastname@example.org. or 920 426-6880.
- Dec. 6-7: B-17 Fantasy Flight Camp – The experience of a lifetime discovering the inside-and-out of this famed World War II bomber, including flights. www.fantasyflightcamp.org
- Dec. 8: Christmas in the Air, 2:30-8 p.m. — For more than 20 years, EAA’s annual open house has featured local musical groups, refreshments and a visit from Santa. Again featuring the “Just Plane Chocolate” tasting competition. www.airventuremuseum.org
- Dec. 20: Wright Brothers Memorial Banquet, 6:30 p.m. — Honor the creators of powered flight through this special presentation. Reservations are required. www.airventuremuseum.org
- December 29-Jan 2: Kids’ Days, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. each day — The museum’s annual family event, with special activities and presentations to encourage fun with aviation.