Volunteering as a Family
AirVenture is a great opportunity to volunteer with your family! Volunteering as a family can bring you, your child, and your loved ones closer together. There are many opportunities for families to become involved in volunteering at EAA and join the wonderful world of aviation!
Please note that anyone under the age of 18 years old must have written parental permission. View the Wisconsin state guidelines.
Research has shown that volunteering as a family:
- Helps families learn about social issues and provides a new perspective on the world
- Provides positive role models and passes on family values to children
- Provides new learning experiences and development of new skills for both children and adults
- Provides quality time for a family to spend together
- Increases interpersonal communication and the problem-solving abilities of family members
- Helps youth decide what they want to do with their life
Kids have fun when they volunteer, but volunteering also:
- Enhances development - Volunteering can benefit a child's psychological, social and intellectual development. Volunteering increases self-esteem, responsibility and an interest in learning, and helps children develop new social skills. It also provides opportunities to apply newly learned material.
- Promotes a healthy lifestyle and choices - Children who volunteer are less likely to become involved in at-risk behaviors.
- Teaches social responsibility - Volunteering helps children develop empathy and learn that one person can make a difference.
- Creates a lifelong ethic of service - Individuals who volunteer as a child or who observed their parents volunteering have a much higher probability of being a volunteer in their adult years.
- Improves the community - Volunteer activities are essential for advancing the common good, and children can be part of the change.
EAA Founder Paul Poberezny had it exactly right when he said back in the 1950s that family participation is essential to create a strong, vibrant organization. EAA is proud to be an organization that promotes family involvement.