A Note From the EditorNew WOA Camper Preregistration Process in Place for Oshkosh
By Harold Cannon, Editor - Warbirds Briefing, EAA 466240
For many members, attending EAA AirVenture Oshkosh is the highlight of the year. Thousands of aircraft and warbird enthusiasts converge on Wittman Regional Airport for a week (or more) and become completely immersed in aviation. Over the years, Warbirds of America members have enjoyed the camaraderie of staying in the Warbirds Campground so that after a long day of volunteering, flying, or just seeing the sights, they can enjoy staying right on-site, a few hundred yards west of the flightline. The Warbirds camping experience has become so popular that the facilities fill up several days before the convention's opening day! To manage the limited number of improved camper sites and further develop policies and procedures, WOA appointed a campground committee in 2011.
In January 2012, the committee made a number of recommendations. Please read them carefully. There is a new preregistration process, designed to take away much of the uncertainty in obtaining an "improved" camping space. Tent campers are not affected.
- You must be a current EAA Warbirds member to rent a site in the Warbirds Campground.
- A preregistration form will be developed and put into place for 2012.
- Preregistrations for improved sites (with electric and water) will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Tent camping does not require preregistration.
- In descending order, priority will be given to: 1) volunteers, 2) pilots who bring warbird-type aircraft to EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2012, and 3) members-at-large.
- Warbird volunteers will need to coordinate with their area chairperson in order to preregister for a Warbirds Campground site.
- Pilots who bring a warbird-type aircraft to AirVenture will need to call in advance (920-426-4826) and preregister. Preregistration begins on April 2, 2012.
- Members-at-large will need to call in advance (920-426-4826) and preregister, starting May 1, 2012.
- Once the Warbirds Campground is filled (see www.Warbirds-EAA.org for updates), preregistrations will no longer be accepted and campers will be directed to Camp Scholler.
- You can prepurchase camping at Camp Scholler as well as advance admission to AirVenture by clicking here.
- It is suggested that you obtain your camping preregistration before attempting to arrange a rental camper with an outside agency.
- Once on-site with the motor home, trailer, or pop-up camper, Warbirds members must register with the EAA Warbirds campground staff.