Established in 1995, the EAA Young Eagles credit program awards a $5 credit to pilots and chapters for each Young Eagle flown in a calendar year. Many chapters use the credits to send a young person to the EAA Air Academy or to support and enhance their local Young Eagles outreach efforts.Complete Credit Form Check 2021 Chapter Credit Balance
Approved uses of Young Eagles credits
Program funding allows us to continue the approved uses of Young Eagles credits, to include the following:
- EAA Air Academy Scholarships
Chapters may their credits and/or pool credits with another chapter to help send young people to the EAA Air Academy summer camp in Oshkosh for the “aviation experience of a lifetime.”
- Young Eagles credits can now cover up to 100 percent of EAA Air Academy tuition.
- Young Eagles credits can also be used to support the transportation cost of sending children to the EAA Air Academy.
- Chapters should complete the chapter reservation form as soon as practical, to ensure the slot is reserved.
- Visit EAA.org/AirAcademy to learn more and access the chapter reservation form.
- Support of local Young Eagles activities
EAA chapters may also apply for cash reimbursement of costs directly associated with the promotion, enhancement, and execution of their local Young Eagles activities.
- Examples include:
- Provision of hands-on activities at a Young Eagles rally (supplies for wing rib building, flight simulators, etc.).
- Promotion of a Young Eagles rally (banners, posters, promotional materials, hand-outs, etc.).
- Operational and safety items (banner rope, cones, vests, printer for printing certificates, and/or photos of Young Eagles).
- Postage expense for mailing in EAA Young Eagles registration forms.
- Any chapter gear purchased must have the EAA Young Eagles logo on it.
Credits cannot be used for the compensation of individuals, for the provision or subsidy of fuel and oil, f or construction projects, for flight instruction, or for any other activities that are not directly associated with the promotion, enhancement, or execution of a local Young Eagles activity. If you have a question about a potential expense, please consult the EAA Young Eagles office for guidance.
- Young Eagle Workshops
The EAA Young Eagles Workshops program provides an easy, turnkey program for EAA chapters to offer youth who are of school age (approximately 11 to 17) an opportunity to learn about aviation in a social setting at a local airport. EAA Young Eagles Workshops can be a one-day or a multiple day experience geared to introduce kids to the basic elements of airplanes and aviation. Visit EAA.org/YEWorkshops to learn more and order your supplies.
- Young Eagles Build and Fly
This chapter modeling "program in a box" is designed for EAA chapters to introduce youth to RC model building and flying. The program kit is valued at roughly $1,500. However, the entire kit can be purchased for $500 (plus shipping and handling). To help chapters take advantage of the program, chapters may now use Young Eagles credits to purchase the kit. Visit EAA.org/YEBuildandFly to learn more and order your chapter's kit.
- Return the credits to EAA
If you wish, you may return the credits to EAA, which will use them to enhance the general EAA Air Academy scholarship fund — facilitating the attendance of a young person at the EAA Air Academy.
How credits are issued and redeemed
Pilots who fly and register Young Eagles in the prior calendar year are awarded one credit, valued at $5 each, for each flight. For example, if a pilot flew and registered 8 Young Eagles during 2020, they would receive $40 in credits to use in 2021.
- EAA Chapters
EAA will issue a single voucher containing the total credits earned by that Chapter’s pilots in 2020. This credit will be kept “on account” at EAA headquarters. To redeem these credits, the Credit Reimbursement form must be used.
- Pilots not associated with a Chapter
Pilots not associated with an EAA chapter will be issued a credit letter as in past years. Individual pilots can use the credits to help send a child to the EAA Air Academy, or return the credits to EAA. Please note that individual pilots cannot participate directly in the cash reimbursement program. However, individual pilots may donate their credits to an EAA chapter to support that chapter’s activities.
- Expiration of Credits
Please note all credits expire on 12/31/2021. Expenses must be incurred before 12/31/2021 to be eligible for reimbursement. Reimbursement forms must be returned to the Young Eagles office no later than 1/22/2022.
- Future Years
We hope that we will be able to maintain this level of commitment in the future.
We sincerely thank the many individuals and companies who stepped forward to donate the funds that are helping to expand the EAA Young Eagles credit program. In so doing, they have helped EAA chapters and members foster and promote aviation among young people