There are many reasons to become an Eagle Flights mentor pilot, but perhaps the strongest and most compelling is to pay it forward to our aviation community. For many of us, having a positive role model may have meant the difference between pursuing our dream of flying and merely wishing we had done so. As an Eagle Flights mentor pilot, you have the opportunity to make that kind of difference in someone else’s life.
You have probably provided some informal mentoring to someone in the past. The Eagle Flights program was designed to build on and reinforce the knowledge and experience you already have while offering additional tools and resources to help you share The Spirit of Aviation.
To fly a passenger in the EAA Eagle Flight® program, you must:
Sign Up to Become an Eagle Flights Mentor Pilot
- Be an EAA member.
- Have a valid airman’s certificate (sport pilot or greater).
- Possess a current medical certificate (if applicable).
- Be current to carry passengers in the aircraft you plan to use.
- Have a current biennial flight review.
- Conduct flights in an aircraft that is in airworthy condition.
- Have Aircraft Passenger Liability Insurance for the aircraft used (owned, rented, or borrowed).
- Adhere to all applicable Federal Aviation Regulations.
- Complete an Eagle Flight registration form before the flight, signed by you and your participant.