Building an airplane is one of the most rewarding experiences in all of aviation, but it’s a decision that shouldn’t be taken lightly. Before you get started, you need to ask and answer one key question: Why? Why build an airplane instead of just buying one?
Building your own airplane:
Answers to Questions You May Have Prior To Building a Plane
- Is inexpensive, especially when compared to an outright purchase.
- Provides access to a greater variety of aircraft and more innovation than factory-built.
- Is fun.
- Is extremely satisfying.
- Builds confidence and provides an in-depth education into your airplane’s structure, systems, etc.
- Enables you to do your maintenance, annual inspections, etc.
- Can - and should - be a family project.
- Fosters camaraderie with other builders.
No matter how challenging the project, EAA is here to help!