Enroll in a Fabric Covering course near you:
February 25-26, 2017: Chesapeake, VA
March 18-19, 2017: Oakland, CA
Course length: 2 days
The Fabric Covering workshop is an intensive course on general fabric covering techniques using the Poly-Fiber covering process. Other covering processes are covered in general form.
The course begins with a discussion of safety issues and general fabric covering. The course is designed to present the methods of covering in discussion form followed immediately by practical hands on experience for each step. Students actually cover a DC-3 aileron from the preparation stage all the way through completion.
The following steps are presented and accomplished:
- Surface Preparation
- Installation and securing fabric including use of fabric cements.
- Shrinking the fabric which also includes proper iron selection and calibration along with precautions necessary to insure proper tautness.
- Application of the first chemical coat and the importance of bonding to the fabric for subsequent coats.
- A detailed discussion follows on attaching the fabric to the wing ribs using the various methods including rivets, fabric clips, pop rivets, and actual instruction in rib lacing techniques. You become proficient in tying the modified seine knot used for this step.
- Upon completion of the rib lacing, the surface is "dressed" placing on all finishing tapes, drain grommets, inspection rings, etc.
The course is concluded with a repair of the just completed aileron. At the completion of the two days you will have the confidence and skills necessary to cover your airplane. The majority of the course is hands on practical experience. You make your mistakes on our aileron not on your airplane.
The course size is limited to provide 1 instructor for every 15 students.
You will receive an informative workbook and a diploma to proudly display. Fabric covering can be the most satisfying experience of building or restoring your project. This course will save you literally thousands of dollars in labor costs compared to having someone cover your airplane.
Special Discounts & Incentives
Register for two or more seats to the workshop and receive a 15% discount on the course fee.
Aircraft Spruce and Specialty offers a special discount on items purchased, as well as free shipping on most items to attendees of the workshop.
Have you taken a previous SportAir Workshops course? As a valued SportAir Workshops alumnus, you receive a 10% discount! Make sure to note this when signing up.