Click here to upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
Space Day | EAA Aviation Museum
October 12, 2019 | 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. | EAA Aviation Museum
Get ready to blast off and explore your inner astronaut during EAA's Space Day, launching October 12, at the EAA Aviation Museum in Oshkosh. Kids and adults of all ages are invited to join us as we celebrate World Space Week 2019 with a series of out-of-this-world activities, interactive exhibits, and special events.
Saturday, October 12
(Lunch will be available for purchase between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.)
Space Discovery for Kids | 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. | EAA Aviation Museum
Kids of all ages can enjoy a variety of space-themed activities that will educate and spark their curiosity in flight. Those who attend can participate in these activities:
- Virtual Reality Experience — Rocket into space with your feet planted firmly on the ground. Explore the final frontier and a taste of life out of this world!
- "Eggscape Velocity" — Build your very own "eggstronaut" space capsule. After you are finished with construction, you will have a chance to launch your capsule to see if it will successfully land without breaking a raw egg.
- Straw Rockets — Learn about the parts of a rocket and forces of flight as you build and fly your own straw rocket.
- Fizzy Rockets — What do you get when you mix Alka-Seltzer and water? Come experiment with us to see how high your fizzy rocket can go!
- Mercury and Gemini Capsule Replicas — Climb inside a full-scale replica of the Mercury and Gemini space capsules and experience outer space with a launch simulation.
- Space-themed Flight Simulators — Here is your chance to train just like the astronauts do and pilot a spacecraft to a faraway world.
- Coloring Station — Pick your favorite space shuttle to color and take home with you.
- Scavenger Hunt — Cruise around the museum galaxy and locate space stamps for your scavenger hunt.
- Meet Aviore — The first 100 kids on Saturday will receive a free gift from Aviore, the Young Eagles’ superhero created in collaboration with the Stan Lee Foundation.
NEW! EAA's Space Day Model Building Contest
This new contest will feature space themed models built by students.
- All model entries will be built off site, prior to EAA's Space Day, and at the students own expense. Submissions can be made from any type of material including plastic models.
- Models must have a space theme.
- The contest is for youth ages 18 and under.
- Judging brackets are:
- 9 years and below
- 10 years to 18 years
- There will be five (5) award categories.
- Judges Choice
- Contestants will be required to have their entries to the judging table in the Eagle Hangar no later than 1 p.m. and winners will be announced at 2 p.m.
- All decisions by the judges are final and cannot be challenged by contestants.
- Prizes will consist of social media recognition AND the award winning models will be on display in the museum with a picture of the model builder (if they wish to provide one) for the period of one month. Then the models and pictures will be returned to the owners.
All Space Day activities are included with regular admission unless noted (adults, $12.50; seniors age 62+, $10.50; students age 6-17, $9.50; children age 5 and under, free; family rate of two adults plus children, $31).
For more information, please call Ron Connolly, EAA's museum director, at 920-426-4815.