Click here to upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
Winter Flight Fest
February 22, 2020 – Featuring Skiplane Fly-in and Family Flight Fest
EAA’s Skiplane Fly-In and Family Flight Fest have been combined into one day of wintertime aviation fun known as Winter Flight Fest. The inaugural Winter Flight Fest will take place at the EAA Aviation Museum on Saturday, February 22, and feature both familiar and new cold-weather attractions for attendees.
From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., kids and kids at heart can enjoy a variety of fun, hands-on activities, interactive exhibits, and special events, including a variety of simulators, a precision landing challenge using zip line aircraft, “Houston, We May Have an Omelet,” and of course, the Skiplane Fly-In, weather and runway conditions permitting.
Watch as seasoned pilots land their skiplanes at the Pioneer Airport, highlighting a unique and popular segment of aviation. This is included with admission and a shuttle from the museum to the airport will be available for guests. (Weather permitting.)
Meet the Young Eagles’ superhero created in collaboration with the Stan Lee Foundation.
Check out radio-controlled (RC) airplane and model making as well as flight and RC air show from 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Be sure to participate in the museum scavenger hunt!
1. Docent Point — Pick up your scavenger hunt sheet.
2. Hilton Aviation Theater — Watch highlights from AirVenture’s 50th consecutive year in Oshkosh.
3. Virtual Flight Fest: Experience the freedom of flight and fly through the sky with virtual reality experiences.
4. Wright Flyer Simulator — Be just like Orville and Wilbur Wright as you soar in the Wright Flyer, the world’s first airplane, above the sand dunes in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
5. Clothespin Airplane: Make your own airplane refrigerator magnet out of clothespins and craft sticks.
6. Photo Op: Gather the family and capture your special day.
9/10. Model Displays: Check out paper and plastic models, and learn from the experts the skills needed to build these models. Model Contest: This new aviation-themed model contest features models built by youths and adults alike. Contestants must have their entries in the museum’s Air Racing Gallery by 1 p.m. Judging starts at 2 p.m., and winners will be announced immediately following judging.
11. “Houston, We May Have an Omelet” — Build your very own “Eggstronaut” space capsule! After you are finished with construction, you will have a chance to launch your eggstronaut off the balcony.
12. Foam Plate Gliders: Construct a glider and experiment with the control surfaces and add/ subtract weight to improve the glide path.
13. Paper Airplanes & Coloring Station: Make the world’s best paper airplane and then see how far it flies when you launch it from our airplane power launcher. Flying for fun is strongly encouraged. Also, a number of different designs will be available for kids of all ages to color.
14. Exhibitions: Enjoy the expert flying and thrills of RC in the Eagle Hangar
15. Club Model Airplanes (Upper and Lower Levels): Have you ever wanted to see how hard it is to build a radio-controlled model airplane? Here is your chance. Our club members will be on hand to answer questions about building and flying.
16. KidVenture Gallery — Enjoy hands-on activities and exhibits.
New!EAA’s Winter Flight Fest Model Building Contest
This new aviation-themed model contest will feature models built by youths and adults alike. There will be three age brackets including youth ages 1-12, 13-18, and adults 19 and up. The award winning models will receive a plaque.
All model submissions will be built off-site, prior to EAA’s Winter Flight Fest, and at the contestant’s own expense.
Contestants must have their entries in the museum’s Air Racing Gallery by 1 p.m. Judging starts at 2 p.m., and winners will be announced immediately following judging.
NOTE: Contestants will be required to sign a photo release form to participate in the contest.
All Winter Flight Fest activities are included with regular admission unless noted (adults, $12.50; seniors age 62+, $10.50; youth age 6-18, $9.50; children age 5 and under, free; family rate of two adults plus children, $31). EAA members can attend free.
For more information, please call Ron Connolly, EAA’s museum director, at 920-426-4815.
Shuttle services will be provided from Basler Flight Service to the EAA Aviation Museum for non-skiplane pilots flying into and landing at Wittman Regional Airport.
Pilots, are you planning on flying in?
Would you like to land your skiplane at Pioneer Airport for the event? Pilots must obtain permission and air operations instructions by filling out the form below.
Fill Out Form
Nonmember Concessions: Lunch will be available for purchase from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The concessions area is located in the Founders’ Wing.
Member Concessions: Lunch will be available from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Members will receive unlimited chili and one free beverage voucher.
Includes Lettuce, Tomato, and Onion
Hot Dog*: $4.00
Chilli Dog*: $5.00
Chili Bowl: $4.00
*All sandwiches can be prepared on a gluten-free bun for an additional $1.50.
Mandarin Oranges: $2.00
Aquafina Water: $2.00