Click here to upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
Sonerai Cowling Rebuild Project
By Bill Evans, EAA Chapter 266, EAA 794228
April 2020 - The lower cowling I made for the Sonerai now takes the better part of a day to install, and the result leaks so badly that I need to tape it up, which looks unattractive.
Sonerai cowl fitted.
I found the mould and firewall template I used to make the first cowling. My friend Gord's idea is to use a full-length, say 2-inch, piano hinge to attach the two halves and abandon the Hartzell latches, which works, but bends the cowling, resulting in air leaks.
This is what Jabiru does: piano hinges. So does Van's. — Ed.
Top cowl mould.
Bottom cowl mould.
I am seeking advice of chapter members near me as how to proceed to prepare the mould to lay up a new cowling. I'm no expert in composites.
There will be changes:
- The NACA (carb air) duct will be scrapped. The new SS duct/filter will be just aft of the firewall and have a scoop inlet above the upper cowling.
- The cowl flaps will be scrapped, and I'll go with the blister Gord used for the Jabiru kits he built
- The facing angles glassed into the edges of both cowlings will be removed, since piano hinges will also provide sealing.
- I may retain the liquids drain mast, but it could be moved to an angle on the firewall instead of the lower cowling.
- The oil cooler will be removed from the lower cowling and installed with rods to the lower engine.
- The eight Cam Lock fasteners I used to close the cowlings will be replaced by the piano hinges.
Stay tuned for this adventure.