We apologize for the inconvenience and hope you have a great day in Oshkosh! View schedule ›
Click here to upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
Stay InspiredEAA is your guide to getting the most out of the world of flight and giving your passion room to grow.
FlightAware Following of VFR Flights
By Ian Brown, EAA # 657159
August 2016 - I had contacted FlightAware to ask why VFR flights with flight following were no longer visible on their website and received this reply. I checked for my recent flights to Oshkosh and was able to see several, so it seems to be working again. Note that, at least in my case, I can see a couple of flights that were not me, but seem to have my call sign. It’s possible that for those flights, if no flight plan was filed, the air traffic controller may have just mistranscribed the tail number.
In regards to your recent inquiry about tracking your VFR flight, we have recently released a feature to allow you to view position-only flights (flights without a flight plan) such as a VFR flight with flight following or ADS-B positions. Follow these steps:
(You will need to be on the web version of FlightAware. These instructions will not work on the app or mobile site.)
1. Ensure you are either logged into your account or join FlightAware at the following link (flightaware.com/account/join). You will need to activate your account via email after joining.
2. Go to your account at the following link (flightaware.com/account/manage) or click on your name or username in the top left-hand corner of the site.
3. Look for a section titled “Position-Only Flights” and click the button for “show position-only flights.”
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Save.”
5. It could take up to 15 minutes for your account to be updated after you save. After this time, simply search for a tail number or flight from the search bar located at the top-center of the page.
Please contact us (flightaware.com/about/contact) if you have any questions about position- only flights or have any trouble setting up your account.