Take a look at our current openings and apply now!
Click here to upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
Stay InspiredEAA is your guide to getting the most out of the world of flight and giving your passion room to grow.
EAA/FAA Summit Raises Dialogue on Range of GA Topics
March 03, 2022 –Strong participation by a wide range of FAA departments bolstered the discussions at the annual EAA/FAA Recreational Winter Summit, held Wednesday and Thursday in a virtual setting between FAA officials from throughout the country and the EAA headquarters staff, led by CEO/Chairman Jack Pelton. The summit was held virtually again this year because of ongoing COVID-related travel restrictions for federal employees.
“It was an excellent dialogue that highlighted the importance of this annual gathering,” said Sean Elliott, EAA’s vice president of advocacy and safety. “While we always prefer an in-person gathering and aim to return to that in 2023, even in a virtual format this meeting emphasizes EAA’s philosophy of finding cooperative solutions and keeping important issues on track.” Among the highlights of the two-day session were:
- Participation by FAA’s flight standards and aircraft certification offices on a full spectrum of topics, from current safety trends and enhancements to flight-training exemptions and processes to help maintain legacy aircraft
- Federal Air Surgeon Dr. Susan Northrup on the latest from the FAA Office of Aerospace Medicine, including special issuances and the upcoming “Pilot Minute” video series regarding aviation medical topics
- A well-received safety discussion led by EAA member Terry Lutz
- Expanding the Additional Pilot Program for use in qualifying homebuilt aircraft types
- Focused areas of discussion on vintage aircraft, warbirds, and aerobatic flying issues
- Updates on aviation fuels and the MOSAIC initiative
The FAA representatives were also positive about EAA’s new Pilot Proficiency Center that is an expansion of the EAA Aviation Center and its uses during AirVenture.
“The Winter Summit is an excellent checkpoint with the FAA to ensure progress and accountability on topics that matter to EAA members,” Elliott said. “It also sets an action plan for when we meet again at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh this coming summer.”