Click here to upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
Aviation-Minded Women Gather for EAA WomenVenture 2021
EAA AirVenture Oshkosh inspires women to celebrate aviation together on July 28
EAA AVIATION CENTER, OSHKOSH, Wisconsin – (June 8, 2021) – For the 13th year, women of all ages have opportunities to share their passion for aviation on Wednesday, July 28, during EAA WomenVenture 2021, part of EAA AirVenture Oshkosh from July 26 to August 1 at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh. EAA WomenVenture is designed to inspire women to build camaraderie, celebrate the joy of aviation, and open doors to mentorship moments that encourage women to pursue their dreams in aviation.
“WomenVenture has become a fixture of the AirVenture experience for thousands of women every year,” said Margaret Viola, WomenVenture Volunteer Chair and EAA member. “I can’t count the number of times that surprise meetings or helpful advice from now-mentors or guest speakers have positively impacted my aviation journey, both personally and professionally. The events of the week enable women to recharge through inspiration, and connect or re-connect with mentors, friends, and luminaries in the field.”
The schedule for WomenVenture Activities includes:
- Wednesday, July 28, 11:30 a.m. – The EAA WomenVenture Power Lunch at Theater in the Woods will feature keynote speaker Colonel Allison Black, Vice Commander of the 24th Special Operations Wing (24 SOW), Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC). Colonel Black enlisted in the Air Force in 1992 and served as a Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape (SERE) Specialist as well as Deputy of the Commander’s Action Group for AFSOC. She has flown more than 3,400 hours with 2,000 combat hours in the AC-130H Spectre gunship and the U-28A Draco.
- Wednesday, July 28, 6:30 p.m. – The EAA WomenVenture Evening Program “Celebrating Those Who Break Boundaries,” is expected to inspire aviators from all walks of life with a panel of female pilots and aviation aficionados speaking about their experiences in aviation. Emceed by Stephanie Stricklen – a student pilot, Emmy award-winning journalist, and EAA social media personality – some of the panelists will include:
- Col. Allison Black – US. Air Force 24 SOW, AFSOC
- Cmdr. Meagan Flannigan – U.S. Navy Fighter Pilot
- Lt. Col. Christina Hopper – U.S. Air Force Fighter Pilot
- Capt. Mary Ann Schaffer – United Airlines System Chief Pilot
- Tammy Barlette – A-10/MQ-1/MQ-9 U.S. Air Force (ret.) Drone Pilot
- Ashli Blain – CH-47/UH-60 Firefighter Pilot
Tickets, which include a boxed lunch, are $5 each and registration is required at EAA.org/WomenVenture.
Similar to prior years, a free limited-edition EAA WomenVenture T-shirt is available to all women (while supplies last) who register online. T-shirts can be reserved in advance via EAA.org/WomenVenture and can be picked up at one of three locations on the AirVenture grounds beginning Monday, July 26. Registration for T-shirts will close on Friday, July 23, so attendees are encouraged to sign up for their size early. For those that don't register for the WomenVenture T-shirt in advance, they can visit the Member Center during EAA AirVenture Oshkosh for limited remaining T-shirt availability.
New for 2021 is the WomenVenture virtual photo opportunity as a way to maintain social distancing, WomenVenture participants will have the ability to send a selfie from their cell phone during AirVenture to receive a free WomenVenture 2021 framed digital version of their photo. Photos submitted will also be used to create a commemorative photo collage that will be available for download after AirVenture 2021. Details for how to send a selfie will be provided during AirVenture.
EAA WomenVenture is presented by The Boeing Company, with additional support from United Airlines, Endeavor Air, Ford Motor Company, General Aviation Manufacturers Association (GAMA), The Ninety-Nines Inc., and Women in Aviation International.
For more information about EAA WomenVenture 2021, visit EAA.org/WomenVenture.
About EAA AirVenture Oshkosh
EAA AirVenture Oshkosh is “The World’s Greatest Aviation Celebration” and EAA’s membership convention. Additional information, including advance ticket and camping purchase, is available at www.eaa.org/airventure. EAA members receive the lowest prices on admission rates. Free youth admission for ages 18 and under is supported in part by The Boeing Company. For more information on EAA and its programs, call 800-JOIN-EAA (800-564-6322) or visit www.twitter.com/EAA.