Click here to upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
Chapter Recognition - 10 Part Series to Improve Your Chapter
August 2019 - In 2019 EAA will be rolling out the Chapter Recognition Program. This program is designed to help chapters improve the experience for their local members, and to recognize our many outstanding chapters. Chapter recognition will be based on 10 criteria and how many of those criteria a chapter meets.
The 10 criteria are as follows
Each month, EAA will highlight one of the criteria and show your chapter how to take advantage of a potential new opportunity.
- Current chapter leaders who have attended chapter leadership training.
- The chapter membership is growing or holding steady.
- The chapter offers an EAA IMC or VMC Club.
- The chapter participates in the Young Eagles or Flying Start program.
- The chapter has an EAA-approved flight advisor or technical counselor.
- The chapter partakes in the annual EAA Chapter Survey.
- Chapter leaders regularly read EAA's ChapterGram.
- The chapter has used a ChapterBlast or ordered promotional materials.
- The chapter hosts at least two public events per year.
- The chapter owns or leases a facility.
August's Criterion — Chapter Offers an IMC or VMC Program
About IMC and VMC Programming
The purpose of IMC and VMC programming is to promote flight proficiency and safety. The intent is to create a community of pilots willing to share information, provide recognition, foster communications, promote safety, and build proficiency in VFR or IFR. EAA chapters can adopt an IMC or VMC program, which offers monthly meetings where pilots can network and share knowledge and experiences.
The chapter resources and scenarios are produced and distributed by EAA on a monthly basis. Scenarios for both VMC and IMC programs are created and distributed separately, so each club has unique scenarios.
Why Is IMC and VMC Programming Important?
Although the cornerstone of EAA is supporting those who build and fly their own aircraft, it is equally important to support every type of aviation pursuit.
Having a VMC and/or IMC Club is a great way to support pilot proficiency and safety of flight for your members, no matter what type of aircraft they fly. EAA members often say, "I never joined my local EAA chapter because I am not homebuilder." There is a common misconception that EAA chapters are only for builders and restorers. By adding an IMC or VMC program, your chapter will create a program offering that appeals to a more diverse cross section of pilot members. Even nonpilot members may find these presentations educational!
These organized hangar-flying scenarios are completely free to all EAA chapters; however, you must appoint a VMC and IMC club coordinator to adopt these programs.
Learn more about the VMC Club here →
Learn more about the IMC Club here →