The EAA Young Eagles Build and Fly program is an intensive RC model building and flying initiative to introduce youth to aircraft construction and the fundamentals of flight.
This is a chapter modeling “program-in-a-box” designed for EAA chapters to partner with local Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) clubs to engage Young Eagles participants and other youth. The program can either be a follow-up to or lead to an EAA Young Eagles flight and is intended to further their passion for aviation.
What's Included in the Build and Fly Kit?
The program kit includes an EAA-exclusive, SIG electric-powered eKadet LT-40 kit, all building materials, electronics, and accessories; a Horizon Hobby Vapor indoor RC model, and a copy of the RealFlight 9 RC flight simulator. The only things the chapter and club need to provide are the volunteers, a space to house the program, and a computer to run RealFlight 9. To view the full list of kit contents, click here.
What is the cost to an EAA chapter for the kit?
Thanks to the generous support of the Burgher Fund and discounts provided by SIG Manufacturing and Horizon Hobbies, the complete project kit is available to EAA chapters for just $500 (plus shipping & handling), which is approximately one-third the usual retail price.
Who is eligible for this program?
All EAA chapters and squadrons are eligible to participate in the EAA Young Eagles Build and Fly program if they meet the following criteria:
- Be an EAA chapter or squadron in good standing.
- Have an area suitable for building and storing the LT-40 eKadet model.
- Ability and desire to partner with a local AMA club and solicit AMA volunteer presence for their RC expertise.
- Have all volunteers complete EAA’s Youth Protection Policy training and background check. For more information, visit EAA.org/YouthProtection.
- Solicit youth participation to previous Young Eagles, at Young Eagles rallies, local school programs, clubs, or other youth outlets.
- A commitment to foster the project through to completion.
EAA Young Eagles Build and Fly Program Handbook [PDF Download]
Frequently Asked Questions [PDF Download]