Take a look at our current openings and apply now!
Click here to upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
Stay InspiredEAA is your guide to getting the most out of the world of flight and giving your passion room to grow.
SAM Aircraft: Super Deal! Airplane Comes With Literally “Everything.”
SAM designer selling airplane, drawings, files, all assets, for less than the price of a kit.
By Thierry Zibi
November 2015 - Montreal, Quebec, Canada: SAM Aircraft President Thierry Zibi has a super deal for someone who wants to be an airplane manufacturer. He also has a super deal for someone who wants to own and fly a unique bird with fantastic handling and performance at the light-sport aircraft (LSA) limits. The SAM LS is AULA-approved in Canada and 51 percent rule compliant Experimental Amateur-Built in the United States. (It is engineered to be LSA-compliant in the United States, but Thierry didn’t have the time to finish formal LSA designation acceptance.)
The assets — intellectual, administrative, even the airplane itself — of SAM Aircraft are for sale. Thierry wants to finance his newest venture. SAM has to go for an unbeatable price of $100,000.
Regarding the assets part of the deal, it’s pretty much everything needed to produce the aircraft:
- Professional molds for all composite parts: cowling, wingtip, stab tip, rudder tip, fuselage/wing, fuselage/empennage, fuel tanks, etc.
- Complete 3-D all debugged Solidworks drawings of the aircraft (with all parts predrilled)
- Many spare parts: aluminum skins, ribs, tubes, 4130 steel, etc.
- Complete calculation documentation done by engineers based on the ASTM LSA and Canadian ultralight
- Stress data and video (wing load, fuel tanks)
- Production checklist, with 2-D and 3-D parts ready to computer numerically controlled (CNC)-cut, and inspection checklist
- Kit assembly manual
- Pilot’s operating handbook and maintenance manual
- Flight test reports done by independent, professional test pilot
- Marketing data: Internet website, photos, and positive reviews by all magazines
- Intellectual property, production rights
- Flying Prototype: 385 hours total time since new
The structure of a SAM
For those curious about expert objective views of the SAM’s airworthiness and flying appeal, there are positive reviews by all magazines, including cover stories in Kitplanes, Flyer, and Canadian Aviator.
The pièce de résistance, of course, is the famous SAM prototype airplane itself. Showing less than 400 hours since new on the airplane and its 100-hp Rotax 912S, the SAM is a standout in performance, comfort, and looks. In fact, “It’s like a modern, faster, comfortable, safer, and easier-to-maintain and easier-to-fly World War II primary trainer.”
The SAM has flown a full-test regimen, which has shown it to be spin-proof at both full-forward and full-aft CG; its Canadian certification has been awarded (and the airplane is fully LSA-compliant, needing only another example to be produced in order to certify it LSA).
Thierry said that “My reward will be that someone will be able to continue where I stopped and see more SAM airplanes in the air.”
Some people are destined to design, some to build, some to fly.
This designer is looking for the other two kinds of people to realize their dreams.
2475 avenue Van Horne, apt 3
Montréal, QC, H3S-1P4