Click here to upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
South by Southwest Festival Included Among EAA's Mobile Tour Stops
March 8, 2018 - Visitors to the South by Southwest conference and festivals have an unmatched opportunity to connect with the world of flight on March 11-14 as the Experimental Aircraft Association’s “Spirit of Aviation” mobile unit brings its hands-on fun and discovery to the SXSW trade show at the Austin Convention Center.
EAA’s Spirit of Aviation mobile unit, sponsored by the National Association of Air Traffic Controllers (NATCA), is beginning its national tour at South by Southwest. During the festival, the EAA unit will be located at Exhibit Booth #137 (formerly known as “The Hub”). The SXSW trade show is open to all festival attendees, regardless of the admission track where they are participating.
“It’s fun, it’s discovery, and it’s even flying in virtual reality style,” said Dave Chaimson, EAA’s vice president of marketing and business development of the Spirit of Aviation display. “Wherever you are enjoying South by Southwest, stop by and connect with the adventures in the world of flight. And we are even bringing along our own Stan Lee-inspired superhero – Aviore!”
Stan Lee personally introduced Aviore to audiences last July at the EAA AirVenture Oshkosh fly-in convention in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. He was created in a cooperative effort by EAA and the Stan Lee Foundation, as an inspiration to young people all over the world, encouraging them to follow their passions and find their place in the sky. Aviore will be signing autographs and posing for selfies at the Spirit of Aviation exhibit from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. on March 11-13.
Visitors will be able to build their own Aviore gliders, supported by Flite Test, and take virtual flights with Samsung Gear VR headsets to connect with the Spirit of Aviation. There are also Red Bird flight simulators for flight training experiences, hands-on building stations, and much more as part of EAA’s mission to grow participation in aviation.
The EAA Spirit of Aviation mobile unit will continue its national tour following SXSW with visits to air shows, aviation events, and other public events throughout the country. It will also be part of EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2018, the world’s largest fly-in convention, on July 23-29.
2018 EAA Spirit of Aviation Mobile Unit Tour Stops
- March 11-14, South by Southwest, Austin, Texas
- March 24-25, Melbourne Air & Space Show, Melbourne, Florida
- April 6-8, USA Science & Engineering Festival, Washington D.C.
- May 5-6, MCAS Cherry Point Air Show, Havelock, North Carolina
- June 9-10, Thunder of Niagara Air Show, Niagara, New York
- June 27-July 1, Summerfest, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- July 23-29, EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
- August 23-September 3, Minnesota State Fair, St. Paul, Minnesota
- September 21-23, California Capital Airs Show, Sacramento, California
- October 11-14, Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- November 10-11 Aviation Nation Air and Space Show, Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada
2018 EAA Trade Show Stops
- March 22-24, International Women in Aviation Conference, Reno, Nevada
- April 10-15, SUN ’n FUN International Fly-In & Expo, Lakeland, Florida
- June 15-16, AOPA Fly-In Missoula, Montana, KMSO
- September 14-15, AOPA Fly-In Santa Fe, New Mexico, KSAF
- October 5-6, AOPA Fly-In Carbondale, Illinois, KMDH
- October 26-27, AOPA Fly-In Gulf Shores, Alabama, KJKA