Stay InspiredEAA is your guide to getting the most out of the world of flight and giving your passion room to grow.
Winter Flight Fest Returns
The annual Winter Flight Fest will bring family activities and the popular skiplane fly-in to the EAA Aviation Museum on Saturday, February 11, from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m.
The day is designed for all ages and is a family-friendly series of activities through the museum and at its Pioneer Airport facility. Among the highlights included with regular museum admission that day:
- Hands-on family activities:
- Wright Flyer simulator — Take the controls of the first powered airplane at Kitty Hawk.
- Paper airplane launcher — Fold your best creation and see how it flies.
- X-Planes — Create your own X-Plane and test it through various obstacles.
- A Pararescue challenge where kids design a miniature parachute and test it in a wind tunnel.
- Indoor model airplane flying — Discover what it takes to build and fly a radio-control model.
- Clothespin airplanes — Make your own airplane refrigerator magnet.
- Airplane model building contest: Open to all ages with no entry fee, with divisions for adults and youth. Contestants can build their models prior to February 11 but must have their models registered by 1 p.m. Judging begins at 2 p.m., with winners announced immediately afterward.
- Skiplane Fly-In: Pilots from throughout the upper Midwest land on the snow-covered airstrip at Pioneer Airport. Museum visitors are welcome to walk among the parked airplanes and discover more about this facet of fun flying. Shuttles will operate from the museum to Pioneer Airport throughout the day. (Pilots who are interested in flying their skiplanes to the event must pre-register.)