Step 4: Sporty’s Learn to Fly Course
As an EAA Student Member, you’ll receive free access to Sporty’s Learn to Fly Course ($279.00 value).
This interactive online course uses real-world video and incredible 3D animations to help you learn the basics of flight. Plus, EAA will reimburse you when you pass your FAA written exam ($175 value).
Why take the Sporty’s Learn to Fly Course?
- See real-world video: Sporty’s puts you in the cockpit for a “pilot’s-eye view” of everything you’ll see during your flight lessons.
- It’s a complete course: The course focuses on learning to fly, not just memorizing test questions. The course is so complete that the FAA accepted it for use in approved flight schools as it is a total private pilot ground school.
- Get a personalized training experience: Learn on your schedule, at your own pace. Skip ahead or review segments several times over.
- FAA Knowledge Exam endorsement: You get the necessary signoff to take the private pilot knowledge exam — automatically. No instructor needed.
EAA will reimburse you when you pass your FAA written exam! ($175 value). To receive the reimbursement, submit the online request form.
Have the following information readily available:
- EAA Number
- Banking info (routing and account numbers)
- PDF copy of your score sheet
- PDF copy of the receipt for the payment of your exam
Complete the FAA Knowledge Exam Reimbursement form
Is there an age requirement?
The course is recommended for people ages 13 and up.
How do I sign up?
On the back cover of the logbook you received from your Young Eagles pilot is an access code for your free EAA student membership. Once you sign up, register for Sporty’s Learn to Fly Course at the same time.
Sporty’s will email you directly with your username and password. If you are already an EAA student member and need access, just call 800-564-6322 to get started.
What if I don’t have an access code?
You can register for your free EAA Student Membership even if you didn’t receive an access code from your pilot. All you need to do is answer a few questions about your flight so your status can be verified.
When can I begin my course?
Sporty’s will send you an email with your username and password. Once you receive that you can begin the course.
How is the course set up?
Sporty’s Learn to Fly Course lets you decide which pilot certificate works best for you — sport, recreational, or private. After you complete the entire Learn to Fly course and pass the FAA written exam, EAA will reimburse you for the exam. Only the free first flight lesson is triggered by completion of the first three volumes. A student member cannot be reimbursed for the written exam unless they have completed the entire course.