EAA’s Flying Start is a new program for chapters to use to reach out to the local community and provide an opportunity to engage with people who are interested in the world of flight. Through Flying Start, chapter members can break down the perceived barriers that prevent people from participating in general aviation.
Participants will walk away from a Flying Start event with an “I can do this” point of view, and a clear understanding of “how flying can fit into my life,” and “what I can do with this hobby."
The hosting chapter will formally present an EAA prepared PowerPoint presentation and video, as well as share personal experiences on how aviation fits into their lifestyle. Participants will also be able to take a FREE introductory flight through EAA’s Eagle Flights program.
To host a successful Flying Start event the chapter should meet the following criteria. This will allow the Flying Start participants to become fully engaged.
- Local flight instruction with the capability for flight instructors to meet Flying Start participants.
- Volunteer pilots available to provide Eagle Flights.
- Chapter member buy-in to foster aviation participation, and to continue to engage them after the day of the event.
- Comfortable gathering area with restrooms and a presentation area suitable for a sit-down discussion for up to 20 participants.
- Audio/visual equipment with speakers for video and PowerPoint presentation.