EAA’s Flying Start program offers chapters the opportunity to reach out to the local community and engage with people who are interested in the world of flight. Through Flying Start, chapter members can break down the perceived barriers that prevent people from participating in general aviation.
Participants will walk away from a Flying Start event with an “I can do this” point of view, and a clear understanding of “how flying can fit into my life,” and “what I can do with this hobby."
The hosting chapter will formally present an EAA prepared PowerPoint presentation and video, as well as share personal experiences on how aviation fits into their lifestyle. Participants will also be able to take a FREE introductory flight through EAA’s Eagle Flights program.
To host a successful Flying Start event the chapter should meet the following criteria. This will allow the Flying Start participants to become fully engaged.
- Local flight instruction with the capability for flight instructors to meet Flying Start participants.
- Volunteer pilots available to provide Eagle Flights.
- Chapter member buy-in to foster aviation participation, and to continue to engage them after the day of the event.
- Comfortable gathering area with restrooms and a presentation area suitable for a sit-down discussion for up to 20 participants.
- Audio/visual equipment with speakers for video and PowerPoint presentation.
How to Participate
Step 1: Once your chapter has decided to host a Flying Start event (and meets the basic requirements), the first step is to register the event online. EAA’s chapter office will contact you shortly after the event is registered with additional information and resources. (NOTE: Be sure to register your event at least eight weeks prior to the event date so your chapter has sufficient time to plan and promote the event).
Step 2: Download the Flying Start Materials
After you register your event online, you can immediately download the Flying Start event and promotional materials. These materials will help you plan, promote, and host a successful Flying Start event.