Stay Connected. Stay Informed.The latest news and the greatest photo galleries and videos.
Aviation Innovation Will Amaze at AirVenture Oshkosh 2017
June 22, 2017 - It’s natural to think of EAA AirVenture Oshkosh as persevering aviation’s heritage — with its annual salutes to war heroes and their aircraft, commemorative remembrances, and anniversary celebrations — but EAA also unequivocally stands for a commitment to ensuring aviation’s future.
That’s why, every year, aviation innovation is encouraged and showcased and 2017 will be no exception.
In addition to the new airframes, engines, and avionics unveiled at the World’s Greatest Aviation Celebration, aerospace innovation will also be on display at Aviation Gateway Park, home of the Innovation Center at AirVenture Oshkosh. Here are just a few highlights:
- Be sure to see the first truly new helicopter design in 78 years, the Workhorse SureFly personal helicopter/VTOL aircraft designed for safe and easy flight. This will be the first public viewing of the SureFly in the U.S. (having just been revealed to the world at the Paris Air Show). With eight independent motors each driving a single carbon fiber propeller, a backup battery power system, and a ballistic parachute to safely land in the event of emergency, the SureFly provides unparalleled safety for a personal aircraft. And with a price point projected under $200,000, it’s a sure bet the SureFly will be disrupting the helicopter industry.
- Workhorse will also display their HorseFly UAV Delivery system, a custom built, high efficiency octocopter-based delivery UAV that is fully integrated with their line of electric/hybrid delivery trucks. The HorseFly system is designed to conform to the FAA guidelines for UAV operation in the U.S.
- The Kitty Hawk Flyer is an all-new, all-electric aircraft and the first version is specifically designed to fly over water. Classified as an ultralight, the working prototype was recently revealed publicly, and now you can see it in person. “Kitty Hawk is excited to participate in EAA AirVenture 2017,” said Cameron Robertson, Director of Product for Kitty Hawk, “and we welcome attendees to stop by our booth in the Innovation Center to learn more about the Flyer prototype and Kitty Hawk's mission to make the dream of personal flight a reality.” Demo schedule:
Thursday, July 27 · 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Thursday, July 27 · 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Friday, July 28 · 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Friday, July 28 · 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Saturday, July 29 · 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Saturday, July 29 · 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Kept tightly under wraps and awaiting an appreciative AirVenture audience, Detroit Flying Cars looks to introduce the aviation world to its latest creation. “The race to build the flying car of the future is heating up,” says Sanjay Dhall at Detroit Flying Cars. “Aviation enthusiasts at AirVenture give us the most vibrant group of supporters, collaborators, and investors. That's why we will be there for the very first public display of our early prototype.” You’re sure to be amazed at what the future holds.
- And be sure to check out the drones and other UAVs displayed at the EAA Drone Center, plus see them in action in the drone cage. You can even participate in a Drone School, a one-day FAR Part 107 Preparation Course.
From aviation industry heavyweights to exciting new start-ups that highlight breakthrough concepts in aviation, space, and virtual reality, AirVenture Oshkosh IS innovation. Be sure to visit Aviation Gateway Park, presented by Piper Aircraft, and the Innovation Center, presented by National Air Traffic Controllers Association (NATCA) and challenge your imagination.