EAA is hiring AirVenture and seasonal staff. Attend one of our upcoming hiring events and apply now!
Click here to upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
Stay Connected. Stay Informed.The latest news and the greatest photo galleries and videos.
Top Gun Films Highlight Fly-In Theater at AirVenture 2022
May 19, 2022 — The aviators’ favorite Top Gun and the soon-to-be-released Top Gun: Maverick lead this year’s impressive schedule of aviation movies at the Fly-In Theater during EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2022.
For more than 15 years, the Fly-In Theater has been a tradition for AirVenture attendees. Reminiscent of the drive-in theaters that once populated the nation, the Fly-In Theater provides the perfect opportunity to relax after a long day of air shows, exhibits, and workshops. Located adjacent to EAA’s Camp Scholler campground, the nightly movies are shown on a five-story high movie screen and introduced by personalities ranging from aviation legends to Hollywood superstars. Bring a blanket or lawn chair, and enjoy the free popcorn during a night at the movies.
The Fly-In Theater films, which are included in AirVenture daily and weekly admission, are shown nightly from Saturday, July 23, through Saturday, July 30 (weather permitting), beginning at 8:30 p.m. For many of the films, special guests connected with the film or the aircraft involved will help introduce the screening. Fly-In Theater presentations are included with AirVenture admission.
This year’s stellar schedule includes:
- Saturday, July 23: Top Gun (1986) – The all-time favorite film about naval aviation starring Tom Cruise, Anthony Edwards, and Val Kilmer.
- Sunday, July 24: TBA
- Monday, July 25: Air Force One (1997) – This Harrison Ford fan favorite, also starring Gary Oldman and Glenn Close, features Ford as President of the United States whose aircraft is hijacked by terrorists.
- Tuesday, July 26: The McConnell Story (1955) – A Korean War fighter pilot hero returns home to test fly the new F-86 Sabre jets despite his wife’s uneasiness regarding his job. Starring Alan Ladd, June Allyson, and James Whitmore.
- Wednesday, July 27: Jet Pilot (1957) – Starring John Wayne and Janet Leigh, “The Duke” portrays an Air Force colonel tasked with escorting a defecting Soviet pilot who is trying to lure the American to the U.S.S.R.
- Thursday, July 28: Wolf Hound (2022) – The new film stars James Maslow and Trevor Donovan in a story inspired by the real-life German special operations unit KG 200 that shot down, repaired, and flew Allied aircraft as Trojan horses.
- Friday, July 29: Top Gun: Maverick (2022) – Tom Cruise, Jennifer Connelly, and Miles Teller update the story of Capt. Pete Mitchell as a legendary test pilot called back to train a new group of hot shots.
- Saturday, July 30: Toward The Unknown (1956) – William Holden, James Garner, and Lloyd Nolan star in this depiction of Edwards Air Force Base test pilots pushing themselves to the limit at the dawn of supersonic flight.